Hughes County Conservation District #24

419 E. Highway
Holdenville, OK 74848
(405) 379-2570 phone
(405) 379-5926 fax

What is a Watershed?

      A watershed basin is nature's boundary for water resources.  It is that portion of land in which all water drains to a common area such as a stream or river.  The outer edges are the high points or ridges of hills or mountains, with the stream or river being the central basin.

     Think of it like a table covered in bowls (which would represent the land with the rims acting as mountains or hills), then take a watering bucket (which would represent rain) and start pouring it over the table.  Not all of the water will go into one bowl.  Instead, the water goes into several bowls in one area of the table.  Each of these bowls acted like a watershed basin.  The "rain" fell over the entire area, but the water flowed down into each surrounding "watershed".                                                            

     Flood Control Structures are built on tributaries (smaller streams that flow into larger rivers) to capture the flow of stormwater runoff and to release it at a slower more controlled pace to prevent flooding downstream. 

The picture on the right show how the structure is intended to work during peak flood stages (here it shows storm water runoff flowing out of the structure through the emergency spillway).



HCCD Watershed Program

     The Hughes County Conservation District is responsible for the operations and maintenance on 37 flood control structures (commonly referred to as watersheds or watershed structures) in Hughes County.  These structures are located within three (3) watershed areas:  the Big Wewoka Creek area, the Little Wewoka Creek area, and the Upper Muddy Boggy Creek area.  They provide flood protection for 188,599 acres in Hughes County and were designed with a life expectancy of 50 years before siltation reduces their holding capacity and negates their flood protection values.

     The Big Wewoka Creek area has 11 flood control structures within its boundaries.  These structures protect 59,145 acres in Hughes County.  These structures were built between 1958 and 1967, the oldest of these structures reached their life expectancy in 2008.  Continued maintenance is necessary to prevent a failure in the system.  If a structural failure occurs, the consequences could be disastrous as parts of the town of Holdenville and the Yeager Community are located within this area. 

     The Little Wewoka Creek area has 13 structures that were built between 1958 and 1969.  These structures protect 103,271 acres including parts of the town of Wetumka and the Horntown community.  The oldest of these structures also reached their life expectancy in 2008.   Both Big Wewoka Creek and Little Wewoka Creek watersheds are located in the Northern part of Hughes County and flow into Eufaula lake in McIntosh County.

     The Upper Muddy Boggy Creek area has 13 structures which were built between 1982 and 1993 which provide flood protection for 26,183 acres in southern Hughes County. These structures protect the communities of Non, Gerty and Citra.  The oldest of these structures will reach the 50 year life expectancy in 2032.  These structures flow into the Red River in Choctaw County on the Oklahoma/Texas border.

     The District maintains an Emergency Action Plan on 1 structure in the Big Wewoka Creek area.  BWC#35 was designated as a High Hazard site due to home construction in the downstream flood plain.  Any failure on this structure could possibly result in loss of property, loss of life, and destruction of a bridge located on Highway 48 north of Holdenville.

HCCD Watershed Sites

The attached file gives an overview of the watershed sites in Hughes County, Oklahoma.

Hughes County Watershed Dams.pdf

The Hughes County Conservation District (HCCD) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable sex, marital status, family status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisals, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs). Persons with disabilities who require alterantive means of communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact HCCD at our office located at 419 E. Highway, Holdenville, OK 74848-4057, phone (405) 379-2570 (voice), fax (405) 379-5926, or by e-mail at

To file a complaint of discrimination against HCCD, write the Executive Director, Oklahoma Conservation Commission (OCC), 2800 N. Lincoln Blvd., Suite 160, Oklahoma City, OK 73105, phone (405) 521-2384 (voice), fax (405) 521-6686, or go to HCCD and OCC are equal opportunity employers.